Saturday, September 27, 2014

Colton GRADUATES from SPEECH today!!!

**I was unable to post this on Sept 26,2014.. watching the old videos really hit me hard and my emotions were on over drive. I was unable to see to type!! I am posting Sept 27, 2014***
 Hi everyone!! Today I have an update on my sweet Colton. PLUS I do have a project I made to share with you.
Most of you know, my son has had many challenges in his short life. I will give you a BRIEF synopsis of his(our) journey.. and link you to more at the end.
 At 18 months old I was concerned about him not even trying to talk. PRIOR to that.. he would babble and babble and laugh all the time. So, at his 18 mos check up I talked with his pediatrician and she got us in contact with our local First Steps Program. Colton was tested and tested and tested some more.( during one of the tests it was suggested he had Autism)  He always ranked VERY high in every area EXCEPT expressive. So, he had a therapist coming to the house an hour a week. She was wonderful with him and he LOVED his "Kiki". ( her name is Kari Hall)  A couple months after she started with Colton, she mentioned APRAXIA.. she said she would do more research and and work more with Colton before she gives a final diagnosis. A couple months later.. we talked and she said she was positive he had Apraxia.
This is one of the first videos I took. ( Sept 25,2010)
You can see he TOTALLY understands and really tries...
 
He wanted to talk sooo bad, but his frustration levels would over power him. I tried to understand what he was saying, but sometimes I totally had no clue! This frustration set him back ALOT. On Nov.17,2010.. his 3rd birthday, he entered Pre-School. This was a VERY tough decision for me. See, First Steps no longer help with services once the child turns 3. The schools had a therapist and she would be there for him. His 1st day was AWFUL!! He went knowing primarily basic sign and very few intelligible words. The teacher and her aide had their work cut out for them BIG time!! ( Thank you Tara and Mary)  He didn't want me to leave. I knew and saw and heard the other kids.. they WERE talking and Colton wasn't. I knew just how out of place he felt. I hung around for a bit to allow him to see that the kids would play with him and all would be ok. After a bit, he seemed to like Tara and I kissed him and walked out. She smiled and nodded as I walked out with tears and questioned my decision. Sooo many times I said to myself.." I should have home schooled him". So.. the days got easier and he got more comfy. He started to like school!! I would stop in and hang out and just smile as I watched him FINALLY interact with other children instead of him hovering in a corner by himself. By the end of the year, he was doing better socially and academically. Still.. not many words and shy around anyone he didn't see every day!!!
 
I took this video of him June 8, 2011.
You can tell in the video.. still not many words. This video was BEFORE NV. 
 
I started researching DEEPER places for help in understanding Apraxia. I looked for people with similar cases and even found a Face Book Group. THIS is where I learned most about Apraxia and more specifically, Nutri Veda. (NV) I met a lady and she told me about HOW this has helped her child and others. Of course, the skeptic in me wouldn't say yes. I pondered the product and then had a discussion with my family. If we DIDN'T try it, we would always wonder if it COULD have helped. Colton took his first serving June 26, 2011 and LOVED it!  He had 1 scoop twice a day in milk and some sugar free syrup. I was told he would probably HATE it, but nope.. HE LOVED it!!
 
By July, he was saying :  " what ya doin" , "I help you", "mice" , "Oh gosh", Bumble bee", "Olton"(what he said his name was), " Ido it".
He started actively going TO other kids to play instead of them going to him. He started saying letters he saw on cars, trucks, shirts.. anything!!
 
July 22,2011 Colton started taking fish oils. I bought the capsules and squeezed in his mouth and he LOVED them day 1. ( still does)
 
July 23,2011 .. 1 month on NV
Doesn't he have the sweetest smile? He can spell his name too!! He called the fish oils.. POKE HOLES!! Some of his words are more intelligible than they were only a month ago!
 
So.. his servings get increased and he makes so much progress.  He started t-ball over the summer and about half way through.. he really loved it.
 
Oct 28, 2011 ..Colton spelling some words and saying hello to his friend Marcus!
Colton taking fish oils! He LOVES them!!
 
He just kept doing better and better... Jan. 23, 2012.. We worked hard on words in our every day life. He talks about playing with his friend and playing a monster game. He says .. " I love my chocolate milk mom. I burped".. LOL
 
Aug 27, 2012 .. he talks about working on cars and "his work" at Swope. He REALLY loves cars and tools!
 
By Oct 2012, he was spelling and writing his first AND last name!
 
March 2013 ... He is in Kindergarden and doing AWESOME!! Here he is doing sight words.
 
October 4, 2013 : School visit at the Pumpkin Patch!!
 
April 14, 2014 Colton reading Fly Guy book
 
Today, Sept 26, 2014 .. Colton has a message!!!
 
 
So.. today we reviewed Colton's IEP and agreed that he is ready to be released from speech services. He WILL be checked on monthly to be sure he is still making progress and not regressing. I am super excited and proud of my little guy.
 
So.. as you can see.. Colton has had ALOT of work to do to get to where he is now. Therapy and NV played a HUGE part in it. We, Lisa ( the one who accidentally found out NV would help by giving it to her son) and all of us parents and grand parents who give our kids NV need YOUR help!! We REALLY need NV to be validated!!! We need your help to raise money to have a double blind study done to secure our children's use of Nutri Veda(NV). The POSSIBILITY of it not being produced SCARES the crap out of all of us who have children using it. Most of you know, my son was diagnosed with apraxia and the "chocolate milk" has helped him TREMENDOUSLY!! This would validate so much and help others to see that nutrients and gut bacteria DO play a role in our children's overall health. PLEASE consider donating!!! This is tax deductible!! ANY amount helps!!
 
 
To see more about Colton's story.. please click >> More about Colton. ( there are 6 pages so be sure to click the next page as you are at the bottom)
 
I made this shirt for Mrs.Abell( Colton's SLP) ! She loved it!! Colton will miss seeing her weekly!
 
 
Thank you visiting and please help spread awareness. If you know a child who COULD have something more than just being a late talker.. BE PRO ACTIVE!! Dig deeper and get an appropriate diagnosis. Diagnosis is key to treatment which in turn is key to progress!!
 
Big hugs,
Tanya & Colton
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Eileen Fields said...

Awesome Job Colton!!!!! www.craftykards.blogspot.com

Eliza said...

Tanya & Colton

You have travelled a very difficult road with many challenges along the way, gosh Colton you are a champion and such a tough guy, good n you and mom for all the hard work. You are a rally beautiful person with a lovely personality, stay strong. Tanya you deserve a medal it is difficult raising a child with special needs, this I know also first hand myself, be proud and cry those tears of happiness, you are the perfect mum.

Hugs Eliza